BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 9, 2010

Sit Down, Lets Talk Hair....


Transitioning is growing your natural hair while maintaing length in your hair. I have learned that its best if I treat my whole head (both textures) as if it was natural. That does not mean flatironing your hair to combine both textures. That means no to low heat, frequent washes, and keeping your hair moisturized and that includes the use of water. All these years I have been ducking and dodging the one thing my hair needs and thats water inside and out.
The more I read and understand my hair the more I notice that we as a people are totally in the dark when it comes to our own hair. I have been taught to wash my hair every 2 weeks. Now I wash my hair atleast 4 times in that time spand. The use of products require us to wash our hair more frequently; products can and will cause build up on the scalp slowing donw the growing process. I know what your thinking we cant wash our hair twice a week it'll make our hair dry and brittle. Truth is it can be your shampoo thats drying your hair out. There's an ingredient in some shampoos called sulfate that will dry your hair out (depending on your hair type ofcourse). Before I wash my hair with a non sulfate shampoo I pre poo with EVOO followed by deep conditioner, I then massage my scalp with a leave in conditoner and let my hair air dry and then moisturize and seal and braid my hair. I also do co washes once a week with a cheapie V05, and repeat the process.
I have also heard people say that"going natural aint for everybody" It is the hair we all had before we discovered lye and no-lye relaxers. Its our natural hair so how can it not be for everybody? Nobody said transitioning was going to be glamourous and this wonderful easy journey of undoing over 10 years of relaxers but it can be done.
Where the natural hair and permed hair meet is a battle and the natural hair will win and you can take that to the bank. Although I am transitioning I am not concerned with length at the moment because I know sooner or later it will get cut. Where the two meet is the weakest part of your hair. Thats why protective styles are so important because it is best if you just LEAVE YOUR HAIR ALONE AND LET IT GROW!!!!!